Witches Brew: The Magical Medicinal plants of Bohemia
Bohemia Ecological Preserve
Sunday, October 27th, 10am-2pm
Please note this event has been post-poned
Photo credit: Annie Harisson
Please scroll down to register
Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, the witches of yore weren’t brewing potions with eyes of newt or tongues of dog. These names actually reference real plants that are still used today for their medicinal value, and the so-called witches were, in fact, known as healers of their time. Get into the Halloween spirit with us on a hike through the Bohemia Ecological Preserve, where we will learn about these magical plants and their healing properties. We’ll hike through hardwood forest, riparian woodlands, and serpentine chaparral in search of species that have defined the witch mythology we know today!
Where: Bohemia Ecological Preserve, 6773 Bohemian Hwy, Occidental, CA 95465
What to bring:
- A water bottle and some snacks for the day
- sturdy boots or shoes
- weather appropriate clothing in layers (you may need a light jacket, windbreaker, or water resistant jacket).
- a notebook, pen or pencil
- and (of course) your plant knowledge and curiosity!
Details and what to expect:
- This hike will be led by Bohemia Volunteer Docents
- This hike is geared towards adults but youth are welcome
- There is a porta-potty on the property (2/3 mile into our hike). There is no potable water available on the property.
- We will stay together as a group & leave together. Early departures cannot be accommodated except in case of medical emergency.
- Hike distance? Around 2.5 to 3 miles, with some steep sections.
- What if it's raining? Any steady rainfall beyond sprinkles will call for cancellation. If in doubt please call (707) 544-7284 (then press 1) after 8:00 AM on the day of the outing. If there is no special message the event is on!
- No one will be turned away for a lack of funds. Scholarships are available. Please contact Jesica Rodriguez at (707)544-7284 #107 if you need assistance
For any other questions or concerns, or if you would like to register over the phone, please contact Jesica Rodriguez by calling 707-544-7284 #107, or by emailing email@example.com