The Life of Trees: Forest, Friends, and Foes
Bohemia Ecological Preserve
October 20th, 10am-1:30pm
Please scroll down to register
Join us for a hike to and through several different forested areas on the Bohemia Ecological Preserve in which we will observe, wonder about and discuss the life, death and transformation of the trees and under story in these woodlands. Our aim during this time will be to take a closer look at the slow tempo dramas unfolding in the lives of trees in a forest, to recognize some of the threats they face and how they respond to these challenges. Please bring questions, answers, ponderings, and your unique perspective about forests.
“Here in the forest, the trees tell their own sacred stories of life, death and transformation”
- Linda Underhill, The Way of The Woods
Where: Bohemia Ecological Preserve, 6773 Bohemian Hwy, Occidental, CA 95465
What to bring:
- A water bottle and some snacks for the day
- sturdy boots or shoes
- Long pants are recommended for this event
- weather appropriate clothing in layers (you may need a light jacket, windbreaker, or water resistant jacket).
- a notebook, pen or pencil (if you'd like)
- Binoculars (if you'd like)
- Your favorite tree guide (if you'd like)
- and (of course) your plant knowledge and curiosity!
Details and what to expect:
- This hike will be led by Bohemia Volunteer Docents
- This hike is geared towards adults but youth over 9 are welcome if they are up for the climb
- There is a porta-potty on the property. There is no potable water available on the property.
- We will stay together as a group & leave together. Early departures cannot be accommodated except in case of medical emergency.
- Hike distance? 3 miles with an elevation gain of 700ft
- What if it's raining? Any steady rainfall beyond sprinkles will call for cancellation. If in doubt please call (707) 544-7284 (then press 1) after 8:00 AM on the day of the outing. If there is no special message the event is on!
- No one will be turned away for a lack of funds. Scholarships are available. Please contact Jesica Rodriguez if you need assistance
Contact: For any other questions or concerns, or if you would like to register over the phone, please contact Jesica Rodriguez by calling 707-544-7284 #107, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org